Chapter 4 - Part 4: Weeks of change?
I have long pondered back and forth, how can I make this part of the blog now. I would have the yawning long Gespraechsprotokolle can do for everyone to access, which probably have been too much of a good would be (On request but also via email). Just as it would have been possible, trim the logs on the main bodies back, but that inevitably distorts the true course of the talks and reads rather dry.
Finally I decided then to write a kind of summary for the very crucial week.
There should be three talks, the decision about the future of the relationship between our volunteers and the Foundation Terra Mirim.
ACT:
Our indirect charge Maria Isabel was quite surprised when I told her my situation on Tuesday morning after returning from Sao Paulo revealed. I let her know that I'm using the current predecessor in Terra Mirim in relation to the German volunteer was very disappointed and that this was also the subject of the interim seminar in Sao Paulo.
I came as a volunteer before me useless, just like my work, which serves in my eyes as well as only to be working. A social motive behind it, I was able to identify only two corners, as is the fact that committees had, apparently filmed before the entitlements of my work on the reality forced by 180 degrees. In school, no need to conquer teaching staff, on the contrary, the approximately 10 nearly completely volunteer teachers in the process would have great grip, understood it himself extremely well, teaching and to conduct other activities with the children.
And the environment was actually as good as nothing happens with the involvement of volunteers, except for the Routinefuetterung of bees. So I would have to admit to myself, to my regret that I have after six months any long-term-useful work for anyone left in this place and would go through a social crisis. The
took to Isabel, who was sitting with us at the beginning only two volunteers at a table, at, albeit from the six-on-one meeting as soon as a ten-on-one meeting and two days later had the matter even to the last talked through what has annoyed me in retrospect pretty.
attempt was made to calm to influence the situation to provide the social context of Terra Mirim with all projects and activities clearly and to soothe. Much has been told about this "vanguard" model of a community that everyone would have to protect it and its contribution is indispensable. At the same time one could but with the necessary readiness, which may be with us volunteers have limited availability, more and new ideas, but what we should think again.
Finally I made the charge clear that it was not my intention to remain in the facility, should not fundamentally change anything in the plan our weeks and I doubt according to the given introspection ellen Terra Mirim possibilities set, which radical impulses could.
Second Act
One day after this very direct and open debate appeared unexpectedly, the head of the ecological school to volunteer with us and the table participants from the previous day to talk about the serious matter. As one of the oldest employees Terra Mirim some extent they should be on holiday Alba Maria represented and bring new life into the talks.
After I had repeated my observations of the conversation the previous day, the woman started with a long lecture. She got pretty far out, told by European slave drivers that Brazil built as a minority dictatorship and had left a social legacy of ignorance today in the country.
And now I founded 20 years ago, Maria Alba Terra Mirim. A place surrounded by one of the most industrializing region of Bahia, in the midst of large structural poverty in the adjacent settlements, poverty, which had lead to the cold-hearted criminal, and acting to Europe during the last 400 years back. After this little journey, they finally got on the topic of "social work" one, not least, also probably because they played in years, trade unions and a public education was.
there are two basic different approaches to the notion of social work: 1) one could without any reference to the people go to a favela distribute condoms, five different classes per day just to give lessons and between inside the old nor of care people on the ground wiping the buttocks (called a "European-Bourgoise"), 2) - and this is now the philosophy of Terra Mirim - items could on long-term cooperation, rely on shared growth and modest goals with a few chosen people (she described the example of the teacher at Terra Mirim with some dismal fates) work, reluctant as role models in their respective communities, people with it: all this in combined with a natural and a healthy lifestyle.
She counted similarly as Maria Isabel on the previous day on many things that Terra Mirim realized and have already achieved, tree plantings, river cleaning, youth groups, schools, etc. This could work all these things but it just need a good care, maintenance and management of the site.
Then I went into finally deep and tried to make clear that the problem has been precisely that Had the volunteers cared almost exclusively for last-mentioned further, unmotivierende things and at school, in contrast to the announcement, no real need consists of helpers. Also, I verwiess while still on the rough and sometimes thankless Arbeitskllima, and the lack of promises or that being allowed to me.
It turned out that in Terra Mirim Indeed, there is the view to delegate responsibility to others only rarely - for fear of making mistakes, which "can be serious consequences for all." I then tried the people to make clear that (were Gemuesemarkteinkauf and Essensaufwaermen me only four months have expected after arrival) a few angegammelte fruits or exceptionally, not hot, just warm warmed soup and the Foundation Terra Mirim not would bring the downfall - In contrast, it is completely normal that not all processes could operate without Eingewoehnungsfehler conceded immediately, but rather do honest confidence and support of a good job would. In retrospect, I hope
that at this point might a slight push is gone by the parties and the new man is a little more familiar to them and sometimes make mistakes.
On the subject of manners was the explanation rather tight and self: as a community mostly of women, putting together at this part of the country are still oppressed sex, those who had over the years some resistance and hardness naturalized at the occupants who also in life with each other occasionally showed. Of course this was meant but not always, as in some talks rueberkaeme, in the heart felt all the residents together finally.
In my eyes (which I got at the table not mentioned): statement - yes, justification - No. You should, and that is a cross-cultural necessity, can distinguish between friend and foe. If the strike even a spot of color on the bottom lands, or the apples in the pantry are stacked too high, then you can with any rules of reasonable people - give without his disparaging commentary on the best!
Now we also wanted to deal constructively with the situation. I had considered a number of things that could be implemented with the things that I had mastered and which one could use. All possible Unterrichtsvorschlaege, drums, guitar, volleyball, basketball, English, tree plantings, Muellsammeln, Aufklaerungsprojekte (crap, back in de bourgeoisie), in short: something that could benefit in my opinion, PEOPLE!
these ideas had to head teacher immediately advance the bolt was, but hope that it will give the school year and probably an English class (to this day - April - did not happen), otherwise the rest of the time, the degree of responsibility for a volunteer and resilience of the remaining Terra Mirim staff Projekteroeffnung no new permit. Finally I got a role as a math teacher and participant in a cooperative venture in prospect - already much better conditions than at the start of duty.
Furthermore, I asked the rest Gespraechsteilnehmer clear simply to keep me up to date when it actual projects Terra Mirim, where there would be opportunities for participation, go. This was in the past been too often forgotten and the volunteers have been excluded thus involuntarily as outsiders. All guaranteed to me in this regard and support immediately after the conversation I was given a small introduction into the latest developments - Why do not you say so?
Maybe also because I felt in my message to the people better understood and respected, it had me until the third interview with Maria Alba, a week later back away from the idea to turn her back on the device. give it a try, it suddenly struck me as the better alternative compared to a Search new project and the related relocation to a completely strange place where you have to be without friends and experience would have to start again completely from scratch. It could be that good - at last halfway teachers involved in local events, with confidence!
Third Act:
was now nearly gone a week, until Kuechinchefin knew all of my problems and discussed obviously about it, of course, without that I would anyone respond to it (unfortunately not a rare bad habit in the Brazil that I I know). I tried my runterzuspuhlen usual daily routine, I made a lot of thoughts about the here and now and what the future might look. Sure, but it would have everything can be so easy! Especially in Bahia, where it received the highest incarnation of the loss of human self and society is able to infiltrate.
is
But life is not just always so loose as you want it - it was a pragmatic and positive as possible to approach the matter, though the absolute performance is given all original wishes and not mediated performances. After all: A decent work as a teacher and probably a Portioenchen respect for my motives, I should have prepared me, not to mention the clear exchange of my bosses: let me take over tasks that match the Weltwaertsgedanken.
It was necessary first once a pragmatic deal with the situation. I am violently this week was a cold, of course, immediately interpreted as a psychosomatic reaction of those responsible may be, but I am not stressed excessively. The fact that they had openly, gave me these days is a positive force. Things that I otherwise annoying and over was that I upset me emotionally scary, it was indeed still are - instead reinzusteigern but me and suffer, I began at last to exercise humor, not to see everything so sharp, the daily runoff to empty. Lo and behold, the rain showers are thinning.
And then gets a small project Dilan for a private donation of 500 € (!).
And then comes a lovely postcard from Germany for me, about which I was glad not enough - we've also people you means anything, but just a little further away and gives you a great feeling of security.
beginning of next week then a very soothing and resumptive interview with Maria Alba, who had come back from vacation. There was talk about an idea of heroism, the people would now give over the media, which does not correspond to the true facts. Just as they gave us our
development in Brazil to understand from their perspective. In your opinion, would have especially at the beginning of the service problem was that we very little with their peers were busy. Young people would have to come out into the world to see fun with their peers, the lives of the loose side. The opinion I am also very much.
heard in retrospect, for me also quite bitterly, we were attending service beginning about clearly warned before going out into the neighborhood, and even compelled to a signature'm in a statement along the lines of "if I go out, I for myself and I'm responsible as possible before darkness set back "(a pity that the darkness usually begins one hour after the service end of the week). Regulations within the meaning of "only 2 times per week in the neighboring town" were briefly the subject of serious intentions. As I said, this was all done during the first months of service, in which was of course the leaders of our healthy and safe acclimatization at heart. However, one should not forget that ultimately it has the good intention of the supervisor hurt all parties involved and the mood is not done well - just learn from mistakes. Actually, I felt
had before this last interview that this week full of excitement to follow a positive change. Today in April, that review, I know that my Gespuehr was right that day. I feel so good, how much longer: during the work, while traveling, in proportion to the residents. And finally back to state that a look yourself and open dialogue is not always easy, however, are almost always successful.
Part 1: Between toucans, crocodiles and beach paradise
Part 2: Where there is light, shadow is also
Part 3: Metropolis
Part 4: Weeks of change?
0 comments:
Post a Comment